Women’s National History Month & International Women’s Day 2022
Sharing Women’s History Month facts and inspirational quotes and stories of historic women isn’t trivial, it helps celebrate those women who paved the way, and those who are fighting for and representing women now. Honoring generations of trailblazing women and girls who made history like the ones who won Olympic medals, were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, changed laws to include women’s rights, shaped our future, sent John Glenn into orbit, founded & created companies, and strengthened our characters is why we celebrate exceptional women this month and every day!
We are making waves and setting records, but here are just a few facts that remind me we still have more road to pave. Did you know only one woman, Dr. Mary Edwards Walker (Civil War) has ever received the Medal of Honor? Did you know that it wasn’t until 1974 that women could have their own credit card with their name on it that wasn’t tied to their husband? Did you know only 59 Nobel Peace Prize winners were women since 1901?
So yes, we have a month to celebrate women’s accomplishments and historical moments, and champion women and teach the next generation of young girls that they can do, achieve, and be anything they want to be with hard work, grit, courage, bravery, and an exceptional mindset. Women rock, we are modern leaders, mavericks, rebels and STELLARGIRLS!
Here are some ways to honor and celebrate women during the month of March and International Women’s Day, March 8, 2022.
- Support female entrepreneurs, since we now make up ½ of the work force we are also founders, inventors and creators!
- Purchase and read books by female authors
- Tune into female podcasts and have conversations with your girlfriends about what you learned, found entertaining or thought provoking
- Support female nonprofits, volunteer at a women’s safe shelter or organization
- Donate to female education scholarships
- Write thank you notes to the women in our lives that inspire us or even the women that work with us or for us and let them know they are appreciated
- Watch TED talks by women, they come at many topics from a different perspective
- Watch female directed films or documentaries highlighting female characters and stories
- Stream female musicians and singers
- Seek out female songwriters, artists, photographers and support their work
- Take time with your daughter(s), sister(s), nieces(s) or young girls and teach them to uplift and elevate each other. Show them that there is room for all of them to succeed and champion each other without comparisons and competitions.
Each year Women’s National Month & International Women’s Day has a theme and this year it is one of Providing Healing, Promoting Hope “which is both a tribute to the ceaseless work of caregivers and frontline workers during the pandemic and also a recognition of the thousands of ways that women of all cultures have provided both healing and hope throughout history”.